During our stay in the spa town of Bridge-of-Allan on our 1992 performance tour of Scotland, the concepts leading to this recording began to take shape. As we sorted through books of traditional Scots tunes, we found in these sources tunes we knew from our collective fife and drum experience alongside hundreds we had never heard. Since those familiar tunes had long ago been adapted in the folk tradition to the fifes and drums of 18th century New England militia, we felt that a leap of faith would allow us to adapt tunes from these same pages, books, and composers to our fife and drum ensemble today.
Please note that the Banks of Allan Water CD is out of print and is only available as a digital download.
- The Duke of Fife’s Welcome to Deeside/ Miss Susan Cooper/Victoria Hornpipe
- The Barber’s Pole/The Old Church Hornpipe/The Locomotive/The Navvie on the Line
- She Rose and Let Me In
- Guzzle Together/The Haggies o’ Dunbar/Allan Ramsay/Lick the Ladle Sandy/The Farr’awa Wedding
/Cuttymun & Treeladle
- Catherine Ogie/An Cuillin/Bonny Jane
- Speed the Plough/The Wind the Shakes the Barley/Roxburgh Castle/Fairy Dance/Jimmy’s Return
/The Reconciliation/Miss Robertson’s Reel/The Hawk
- Red House/The Warrior’s Grave/Second Tamborin
- Lass of Patie’s Mill/Lord Huntley’s Cave/Miss Gayton
- The Dream Valley of Glendaruel/Farewell to Nigg/The Banks of Allan Water
- Cape Cod Girls/Oyster River Hornpipe/Hull’s Victory